In 1963, ‘Hof van Aragon’ was established in Lier’s old town area. The hotel’s large hall is situated at Aragonstraat 6. It is probable that this house – previously called ‘Sint Joris’ – is the original house of the arbalest and crossbow guild ‘Sint Joris’. That guild was responsible for the defence of the city gates before it was walled completely after 1212.
A smaller hall is located in the ‘Maegdenhuys’ at Mosdijk 5. Once, it was an orphanage for girls, and now, it is an important part of ‘Hof van Aragon’, where the present and the past meet time and time again during each festive event. Just like Philip the Handsome (Duke of Burgundy) and Joanna of Castile (Queen of Aragon) spent their wedding night at Aragonstraat in 1496, each young couple can now celebrate its own historic day at ‘Hof van Aragon’.